Paul L. Snyder on 26 Aug 2010 09:36:44 -0700

Re: Clojure Lunch Club

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Kyle R. Burton wrote:

> Since I'm in the burbs it's convenient for me - we could organize
> something for downtown - but as you have trouble getting out here in a
> reasonable time, I have trouble getting down there in a reasonable
> time...we'll work something out - perhaps we'll do one in september and
> I'll just work from Philly for a day....

I'm all for the 'burbs, and I'm planning to be there on Monday.  I haven't
used Clojure for anything big yet, but I'm planning to use it for my next
major project (which is likely to have a significant genetic programming
component).

> > 1. Clojure and concurrency in depth (i.e. more that just, "immutable
> > data makes for safer/easier concurrent programs")
> > 2. Incanter (i.e.  "Incanter for SciPy users" or "Incanter for MATLAB
> > users" type of discussion)
> > 3. Clojure on "deeply embedded systems" (i.e. no operating system, JVM
> > right on the silicon running Clojure)
>
> I dont' know that I can talk to all of these, but I'd love to hear
> discussion about them as well.  I know from the mailing list that some
> people have clojure running (or are close to having it running) on
> android.  Not sure about other embedded systems though.  I've used
> incanter once, but would love to learn more about it...same goes for the
> concurrency features.

Likewise.  I've been using iPython/SciPy/NumPy for my data manipulation,
and checking out Incanter has been on my to-do list.

Everything I've read suggests that Clojure's performance on Dalvik is
pretty pathetic...there's a patch to coax it into running, but the last
time I looked at it there was still a long way to go.

> I personally have found that the immutability, by default / encouraged,
> has made for a lot less issues and worries about code that I write in
> Clojure...be a great discussion topic.

The ramifications of laziness might be another good one.

> > I'm sure there are other topics that I would be interested in, but, in
> > the short-term, getting more insight into the above three from some
> > real-world Clojure users could definitely kick me in the butt hard
> > enough to get out to the burbs and tolerate some "stalwart lispers
> > waxing pathetic about how superior their s-exprs are over club
> > sandwiches." ;-)

I'd rather have an s-expr than a club sandwich...but don't press me about
BLTs.

> I want to meet interesting people, my only choice is to organize some
> stuff or I wont' get to meet them.  Just trying to make the kind of
> environment I want to live in :)

More Philly-area tech activity around cool things like Clojure is
awesome.  Thanks for setting this up!

Paul