Dustin on 24 Oct 2011 09:07:06 -0700

seven languages in seven weeks

hey guys,

I just started working through Seven Languages in Seven Weeks[1], and
it's looking really good. Totally on subject for philly lambda.

It's a hands-on approach to getting started in (ruby io prolog scala
erlang clojure haskell). The book is laid out almost like a workbook
-- a series of exercises to get the basics of each language,
progressively harder such that we solve a non-trivial problem that is
matched to the strengths of the language. For example, a soduku
solver, in prolog.

Wanted to pass this along as a book rec. If anyone or a group wants to
make a study session out of it, that would be awesome. I'm working it
now, or we could work through it after functional fall finishes in a
few weeks. Great opportunity to learn emacs or vim, btw, the earlier
exercises in each language are a cakewalk but still important, so i'm
going to do them in vim. How often do you have an easy problem where
you can afford additional cognitive burden?

Cheers!
Dustin

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Languages-Weeks-Programming-Programmers/dp/193435659X