Dan Mead on 2 Nov 2011 20:30:25 -0700

Re: Functional Fall tomorrow night: A Tutorial Introduction to the Lambda Calculus

good meeting guys.

Had the fire alarm not gone off i wanted to have a discussion about how lambda-calc is turing complete, but here are some interesting links instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda_calculus

-basically everything covered in the short and long papers. pretty good article

Can anyone find an article that says the lambda calc and be used as an acceptor for a type-0 grammers?

It's implied by the church-turing thesis, but I haven't seen it explicitly stated anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chomsky_hierarchy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church%E2%80%93Turing_thesis

also, during the meeting I tried to conflate alpha and beta reduction with evaluation orders. that was totally wrong.

Dan