Aaron Kuehler on 13 Apr 2012 11:39:54 -0700

Re: Beginning functional programming

Hi all - 3rd year student at West Chester University here
 Take Dr. Wyatt's "Programming Languages" course. While not strictly a FP course, you will learn about the concepts of functional programming through exploration of Common Lisp and ML. This class was my absolute favorite. Having some familiarity with WCU's Java-centric curriculum, prepare to have your mind blown.

More than learning a new language to understand FP, I would recommend reading the papers on which the concept has been championed. One of my favorites is John Backus' 1978 ACM paper "Can Programming Be Liberated from the von Neumann Style?..." http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~crary/819-f09/Backus78.pdf

Like Kyle, I'm partial to LISP-y languages, so +1 for Clojure, or just plain old Common Lisp or Scheme. You'll have to learn a bit of Common Lisp anyway at some point in your undergrad career to meet the course requirements at WCU.

Cheers,
--
Aaron Kuehler
Aaron.Kuehler@gmail.com