Joe Snikeris on 13 Apr 2012 19:58:37 -0700

Re: Beginning functional programming

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Aaron Kuehler <aaronkuehler@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all - 3rd year student at West Chester University here
>
>  Take Dr. Wyatt's "Programming Languages" course. While not strictly a FP
> course, you will learn about the concepts of functional programming through
> exploration of Common Lisp and ML. This class was my absolute favorite.

+1 for Dr. Wyatt. Also, consider asking him if he'll be your adviser
for a senior year independent study project.

You should also consider Racket (formerly PLT Scheme). You have free
access to a highly regarded introductory text [1], a beginner friendly
yet fully featured development environment [2], and excellent
documentation [3].

If you want to give it a spin, try out the fun introductory tutorial [4].

[1] http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/
[2] http://docs.racket-lang.org/drracket/
[3] http://docs.racket-lang.org/guide/index.html
[4] http://docs.racket-lang.org/quick/