Kyle R. Burton on 13 Apr 2012 13:01:36 -0700

Re: Beginning functional programming

+1 on 7 langs in 7 weeks, I think it's a great book for getting you
introduced to a bunch of languages, but it's not a very good book on
FP.

My favorite (so far) is actually Mark Jason Dominus' Higher Order Perl:

  http://hop.perl.plover.com/

I programmed in imperative languages (including Perl) for over a
decade before I started to study FP in earnest.  HOP uses what is an
imperative language (Perl) that supports closures and guides you
through learning FP from that perspective.  I don't use Perl much any
more (I use Clojure and Ruby), but this book helped my journey to FP
more than any other.

I contrast this to the books I read to learn Lisp, like PAIP [1], but
were not good introductions to FP itself.

Just to throw another FP language in the mix, there is also a Philly
Scala group that is pretty active:

  http://www.meetup.com/scala-phase/

They have a conference (second year in a row) coming up this summer:

  http://scalathon.org/2012/

I think this is worth attending for anyone on this list (it was also
pretty cheap last year and brought in great speakers).

Regards,

Kyle

[1] http://norvig.com/paip.html

--