Lalish-Menagh, Trevor on 18 Apr 2012 18:48:19 -0700

Re: anyone going to startup weekend?

Well, the right answer is that it depends. There are not enough
details for a concrete answer. For example, if you have 1 partner and
you are both putting money and sweat on the line, a 50/50 might work.
If one of you is less invested either money or time-wise, you will
have to work that out.

I have been thinking about something similar lately. One of the
reasons I left my consulting job is that I was never offered equity. I
was the first employee with two partners 50/50, and I would have been
much more dedicated to the company if I had equity, even at one
percent.

So, here is my idea. Once you have your partners shares figured out,
take ~20% and reserve it for you first 100 employees as follows:
Employees 1-10 get 1% equity
Employees 11-20 get 0.5%
Employees 21-30 get 0.25%
Employees 31-40 get 0.125%
Employees 41-50 get 0.0625%
Employees 51-60 get 0.03125%
Employees 61-70 get 0.015625%
Employees 71-80 get 0.0078125%
Employees 81-90 get 0.00390625%
Employees 91-100 get 0.001953125%

If you sell for $10MM, 91-100 still get $19531.25, pretty good.

Now, if an employee willfully leaves or is fired/laid off before
payout (IPO or sale) their shares are distributed among the other
current pre-100 employees.

If an employee dies or leaves due to medical disability, their shares
stay in tact and/or are transferred to next of kin.

That way your early employees are rewarded for joining early and
staying on. Everybody wins.

Thoughts?

Yours,
Trevor