Michael Bevilacqua-Linn on 6 Jun 2012 20:57:03 -0700

June Meeting - Hector Castro - A First Look At Julia

Hey folks,

June's meeting will be on the 20th, 6:30 at the Comcast Center.

Hector will be presenting "A First Look At Julia".

About Julia:

"We want a language that’s open source, with a liberal license. We want the speed of C with the dynamism of Ruby. We want a language that’s homoiconic, with true macros like Lisp, but with obvious, familiar mathematical notation like Matlab. We want something as usable for general programming as Python, as easy for statistics as R, as natural for string processing as Perl, as powerful for linear algebra as Matlab, as good at gluing programs together as the shell. Something that is dirt simple to learn, yet keeps the most serious hackers happy. We want it interactive and we want it compiled." - http://julialang.org/blog/2012/02/why-we-created-julia/

Julia seeks to provide "a sophisticated compiler, distributed parallel execution, numerical accuracy, and an extensive mathematical function library." We will see if these promises hold true in their initial builds.

About Hector:
I work in high-throughput genomics space and hate R's syntax. Anything has to be better than that.

RSVP at the doodle poll below!

http://www.doodle.com/c7nk3hur26sx8e7d

Thanks,
MBL