Adam C. Greenfield on 12 Dec 2005 02:33:43 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Deployed app still needs umph

On 12/11/05, Mike Zornek <mikezornek@mikezornek.com> wrote:
> So tonight I deployed my first "real" rails app. It's an app that runs the
> website of my new consulting business. Overall I like it but I'm still
> working out some kinks...
>
> http://clickablebliss.com/

Congratulations

> The finally BIG issue I'm having is the running environment. I'm using
> Apache with FastCGI. In my Apache httpd.conf file I am configuring fastcgi
> with something like:
>
> <IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
> FastCgiIpcDir /tmp/fcgi_ipc
> FastCgiServer /webserver/cbwebsite/releases/rel29/public/dispatch.fcgi \
>     -initial-env RAILS_ENV=production -processes 5 -idle-timeout 120
> </IfModule>

Just as a sanity check - is your vhost web root
"/webserver/cbwebsite/releases/rel29/public"? Not a symbolic link to
that directory (for example switch tower sets the webroot to a
"current" symlink that is updated to point to the current
releases/<release number>/)

Also - does apache's error log say anything at startup about the
directive? Or about dynamic fastcgi servers starting or shutting down
when you visit a page that isn't cached? (It shouldn't, but again -
just a sanity check)