Aaron Blohowiak on 21 Apr 2006 16:50:10 -0000

[PhillyOnRails] [OT] MBP experience

1.8ghz/1gb ram/80gb hd

I had to run out and get a firewire to firewire cable to use apple's migration utility which requires you boot the "slave" pc to disk- mode. No USB option!? Blargh.

The battery life is disappointing, anywhere from 2 to 3 hours with locomotive (easy ruby/rails/imagemagic/db bindings et cetera,) textmate, firefox, Preview and fireworks running.

The screen is friggen amazing, however. It is bright enough to use in full sun (as my tan skin will attest to.)

The backlit keyboard is fantastic in weight and feel. The trackpad took some getting used to. But its HUGE, which I adore; I have it on a low sensitivity so fine-grain control is easy, but since the distance traveled is affected by finger speed, i can still make it from one side of the screen to the other quite easily.

After the migration from my mac mini, some programs (including firefox) were still running in PowerPC mode even after updating to universal binary versions using their built-in updaters. Dragging ffox to the trash and downloading the same version and dragging it back into my applications directory made all the difference. WICKED fast. Also, I had to reinstall MySQL. Getting MS Office to work required deleting the "preview" that is included by default =/.

the screen is big enough for any single application, and virtual desktops are so good for organizing that i dont feel compelled to use my 24" dell widescreen unless i need to recharge the battery (but there is no dock yet, UGH) , do a group huddle around a monitor or watch a dvd.

The speakers are worthwhile, and the built-in iSight lets me update my buddy icon daily.

It's thin, and fits nicely in my Targus padded backpack -- the only packpack i've ever had that's usable and even in great shape 4 years after acquiring it.

Using Mac the Ripper, I can back-up a single-layer DVD in a half hour.

you have to hit the function key for the F-keys to not be apple's special keys.

You cannot force the keyboard backlight on, but you can shut it off or change its brightness once it kicks in.

the wireless is great, no complaints.

With bootcamp, its the fastest windows box in the house. I dont really use bootcamp, when i need to use IE, i just fire up parallels.

I wish that i had gone for 2 gigs because that way i could just leave a 512mb windows install running without worrying about the memory usage ever. But then, i also wish that the battery lasted for 40 hours and that it came with a dual-layer superdrive.

Best computer i've ever owned.

<sarcasm>
	Besides, DHH owns one, so it has to be good.
</sarcasm>

Aaron Blohowiak