Mat Schaffer on 5 Dec 2006 14:00:38 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Https in Webrick during development

On Dec 5, 2006, at 12:32 AM, Mike Zornek wrote:
In my previous personal work I use some apache magic to force HTTPS on my
production server .. And then in development here run on plain HTTP. Well
this is a client and he has spec to do it in the rails app so I'm trying to
work with him. Anyone ever get https working with Webrick?

~ Mike

Yes, but it's been awhile and I'm not sure if it will work or not on the current version of rails.
Basically you replace the normal server script with an alternate that starts WEBrick with SSL on. The script's a little long, so I'll pastie it.

http://pastie.caboo.se/25896

You'll need to update OPTIONS[:ip]. I don't think you can just leave it out when doing SSL. The certificate stuff is also really funky, so you'll get a bunch of the "are you sure you trust this site" messages. I'm sure some tweaking could resolve this though.

-Mat