Mark Chadwick on 12 Feb 2007 19:45:32 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Sparehand

What platform are you on?  So far we only have it working on OS X,
and probably BSD since I think they both have the same 'route
monitor' syntax.  I think on linux it would be 'ip monitor' but we
haven't looked into the syntax of the output from that.  Not sure if
it's even possible on windows :)

One thing I had relatively good success with was using inotify to watch /etc/resolv.conf -- on most unix-y platforms, it did the trick for telling you instantly.  It also ends up telling you your domain pretty quickly.  Might be nice to abstract the implementation of the notifier so it could be cross-platform like that.

I originally did that in my Python days, but I'm sure there's ruby bindings.  It also, of course, really only does the trick on DHCP networks.

...just an idea.