Mat Schaffer on 1 May 2007 17:29:48 -0000

Diagraming (was Re: [PhillyOnRails] Moving forward with PhillyOnRails)

On May 1, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Cassius Rosenthal wrote:
Dot in an email.... I love it!
I hate it. Good graphviz GUIs don't exist on Linux. What do y'all use to diagram applications in the planning stages? Hierarchical maps are a great start, but the lack of annotation in dot-files is a deal breaker. Why isn't this problem solved in open-source development tools a trillion times over? Are afterthought UML- importers the best we've got?

Honestly, the reason I like dot is that you don't really need a graphical tool. The syntax is so basic and you can just pipe it to dot (as in the wiki page) to make a png. It does all the layout for you.

And yet (like most things that aren't ruby) I find myself interested in creating a ruby DSL wrapper :)

What kind of annotations would you want in a dot file? Just for my own curiosity.

-Mat