GREG NEELEY on 4 Jun 2007 14:33:54 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Hello; tips to avoid "newbie drownings in the Rails pool"...

Seth,

I had some real headaches as a "fellow newbie" with
bug in the Rails
environment on Mac OS-X.

I've had much better luck with LINUX; specifically
Suse Enterprise Desktop 10 from Novell. "Bugless" so
far (knock on wood).

I recommend the WROX programming book on
Rails...you'll find it at their website.

I do recall reading on one of the Rails blogs that
people have had better luck with Rails on LINUX, but
this may be anecdotal.

I have had a good experience with the XCODE IDE on the
Mac; particularly in using QUARTZ graphics calls from
within some simple Python scripts.  It's a good
graphics engine API available free with 10.4.

-Greg in KC.