Matt Hughes on 23 Jul 2007 14:26:36 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Somewhat OT, Statistics

  • From: "Matt Hughes" <hughes.matt@gmail.com>
  • To: talk@phillyonrails.org
  • Subject: Re: [PhillyOnRails] Somewhat OT, Statistics
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:25:20 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=aJ6v9JSmJ5rz7Rurpk18GYi4BD1jWDqH+jKwl9TAEcnFAT6YiOTLxghP039kehgKYBvCrlqTf/cPH4LprkX+73mxUbk18lG+3lCps6LEQrF8GKL0Bo14l7fZps4Vm85p5iu260izt3A5ZTaD53TdqwevW6lqnNxLsGNDofUaXzg=
  • Sender: talk-bounces@phillyonrails.org

There is an interesting class that Stanford and Google are jointly
presenting "STAT 202: Statistical Aspects of Data Mining."  The class
videos are posted here:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=statistics+aspects+of+data+mining

And the class page here:

http://stats202.com/

http://blog.cbcg.net/articles/2007/03/11/tobys-first-law-of-wikipedia

> Basically, Wikipedia has some of the highest-tower shit around. (*)
> </sidebar>

Fair enough ;) And yes, R is an obtuse language when compared to ruby (or
python) and learning it takes an investment in time outside of learning
stats.

 One of the criticisms of the R project is that due to its open source
nature, there is no central management of what packages should (and should
not be) used for a particular task.  If you have the money, then matlab or
mathematica or prism might be a better choice.

  -angel