Cliff Moon on 25 Jul 2007 17:58:30 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Resume advice

IMO, you should prepare two things: a one page resume that you will
tailor specifically for each job you apply to, and a curriculum vitae
(CV) that lists everything you've done - excluding any burger flipping.
As part of your cover letter tack on at the bottom that a CV is
available upon request.  The most important part of the resume though is
keeping it short and tailoring it towards the job for which you're
applying.  Put yourself in the position of the hiring mgr and say, "what
would make me want to hire this person?"

As far as resume content goes, my personal inclination is to leave off
the objective.  Your objective is to get a job.  Duh.  My preference is
to have it contain: contact info which excludes any innapropriate email
addresses, executive summary of you as a professional, skills list,
short work history (last two jobs is reasonable), education, and any JOB
RELATED extracurriculars.  Open source contributions and speaking
engagements are great because they show that you're interested.  For
each job, project, whatever don't describe the project or the software
or your budget or any of that nonsense.  Keep it to short bullet points
about things you personally did to make a difference.  "Saved X dollars
by recommending we use BlahSoft" or "Consistently beat time estimates
for delivery" are great if you actually did those things.  "Worked on a
project with 200 people and 10,000 lines of code" isn't good, because it
says nothing about what you did and why it matters to this particular job.

Finally, you should go over your resume with a fine toothed comb for
little things: Alphabetizing your skills list, proper caps,
chronological order, etc.  Good hiring managers pick up on those things
to see if you're an organized thinker.  And always have someone else
read it over.  Every time.  Seriously.  Nothing says, "I'm lack
attention to detail." like a resume littered with obvious spelling and
grammatical errors.