Colin A. Bartlett on 25 Jul 2007 18:29:53 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Resume advice

John-Scott Atlakson wrote:
I'm a bit embarrassed to say I've never put together a 'professional' resume before and I'm unsure what's the expected way to present my skills.
When you're done, please send me your resume. We're hiring ROR talent. =)

These types of posts usually get tons of responses from the woodwork, so I'll be curious to see other replies. As an employer, I offer these few tips:
  • Include all your recent jobs even if you don't think its directly "relevant" to the job you're applying to. I like to know how well rounded a client is. And knowing that between development jobs you worked at Sears for 10 months tells me more then you think it might.
  • Keep your resume succinct but I think it's garbage that it has to be 1 page like they tell you in school. Bullshit as far as I'm concerned.
  • If you have 2 or 3 sentence descriptions of the projects you worked on (and links, if they're publicly accessible websites/apps), do provide them. But it's best to put on a separate page. That way, the potential employer can review separately. You might call this "Summary of Recent Projects" or something like that.
  • I hate when people have a section called "technologies" and list out every acronym they know. It's especially funny when put down things like "HTML, DHTML, XHTML". I prefer when people pick the top 3 or 4 technologies they know and use and specify how much experience they in them. "I have made a few small modifications to several Cold Fusion sites." is so much better then just listing "CF".
  • Please run spell check. And use good grammar. I find it very, very difficult to over look those things.
  • Skip the intro or Objective but do provide a cover letter that explains who you are and what you want.
  • It's nice when people offer to show me their code but it's really not necessary. And please don't print out code and staple it to your resume. (I've seen it all...). I usually prefer to have one write or at least whiteboard out some code in an interview anyway so seeing your existing code is nice but not essential. I love it when I get strange looks from candidates when I ask them if they know if they had the rights to show me this code from their former employer!
--
Colin A. Bartlett
Kinetic Web Solutions