Keith Fitzgerald on 13 Aug 2007 16:35:53 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] couple simple ror questions

Thanks guys -

That "freeze_other_gems" tool is exactly what i'm looking for.

maybe this is my years-of-java brain speaking, but imho having all the gems in the vendor/lib dir is a *good idea*. having these libraries outside the app seems like running requiring jars on your local classpath. i like minimizing the checkout -> run time.

what if you're working on a team? wouldn't be easier to have svn manage dependencies rather than trusting that each developer is running the exact same gems and versions? what if you're running two ror apps. app x requires one version of an api and a app y requires another?

just curious if anyone has any thoughts on this?

On 8/13/07, Mat Schaffer <schapht@gmail.com> wrote:

On Aug 13, 2007, at 12:03 PM, Keith Fitzgerald wrote:
> These are probably pretty easy questions, I've just never
> encountered the situation. I'm picking up an RoR project where a
> previous developer let off. I went and grabbed the project from
> their svn, but i can't run it b/c it requires a bunch of gems I
> haven't installed.
>
> What is the easiest way to sync up all the required gems? [there's
> a bunch] I can grab the list from the server this is running on.
>
> Is there a better way to manage this? Shouldn't dependencies like
> this be included with the app?

You could also try 'rake rails:freeze:gems' which will put all the
system gems in the vendor/rails directory.  This might be a bit
excessive though depending on how many gems are installed on the server.

If all the gems are required in environment.rb you could also parse
it into a set of 'gem install' commands pretty easily.  Hackish, yes,
but it'd prolly get the job done.
-Mat