Toby DiPasquale on 21 Aug 2007 04:49:37 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Which Linux distro?

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 04:47:24PM -0400, Justin W. Reagor wrote:
> I have noticed, through a friend at work, that the RAID support isn't
> bleeding edge for some very new machines (but who is really). One
> Dell they had received required a special package for a brand new
> RAID controller. Other then that I'd totally agree with you.

Dell's RAID cards are pretty well supported on Linux as these things go.
The issue is that they have to wait for the mainline kernel to integrate
their drivers. They also have to mitigate between their hardware suppliers
and their coders to get the code in shape to mainline. Finally, your
distro vendor has to decide to pick up the kernel version with the new
driver in it. All of this requires some time. Dell does make a point of
mainlining all kernel changes, however, as this is in their best interests
over time.

--
Toby DiPasquale