Cassius Rosenthal on 5 Sep 2007 15:41:56 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] jruby + hadoop?

If CouchDB makes it out of beta, I would love to use an ActiveRecord implementation of this for very simple web sites like blogs. I think the revisions feature should be made optional, otherwise the storage file could blow up faster than the log files, requiring its own maintenance plan.

This CouchDB approach particularly makes sense for the Rails framework, where validation and relationships are specified in the model code, making foreign key specifications and constraints redundant.

In terms of performance, I would love to see how the map/reduce implementation stacks up to optimized psql statistics, for example.

But for serious applications, I want my RDBMS. Nothing beats having the model data and relationships where they should be -- entirely in the database, optimized by procedural functions -- application agnostic.

Thanks!
-Casey

Mat Schaffer wrote:
So granted, I'm still reading the map/reduce paper, but this sorta drove it home for me I think. Thought I'd share it with those of us not subscribed to Labnotes already.

http://blog.leetsoft.com/2007/9/2/futuretalk-couchdb
(via http://blog.labnotes.org/2007/09/02/couchdb-thinking-beyond-the-rdbms/)

Granted, it's not hadoop, but it's website-type data without an RDMBS which put it in perspective pretty nicely. I can sorta imagine this becoming the norm and RDBMS becoming more of a niche market.

-Mat