Aaron Mulder on 16 Oct 2007 17:06:08 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Next Meeting: October 17, 2007

  • From: "Aaron Mulder" <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu>
  • To: talk@phillyonrails.org
  • Subject: Re: [PhillyOnRails] Next Meeting: October 17, 2007
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:05:53 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=KDSkMC1ub0/j9nDn4NKFczOjjF5GMygSFsW5fOaoWbg=; b=P4IV8xYL+DA3cGtMpYlNxBlBlOfxo2uIkETdYa+tepNkrzT6KVuczSSKC1bKC06G855wJ2kUg18PXHyWUVdvYs5OqHLmEQb8mBFsVxQZFrmjIIJa0aohCvn8lFKRvUJrdL8stwMduPlrL8LDDL0+O4HLVheHeWKYu+gBzba7k5I=
  • Sender: talk-bounces@phillyonrails.org

Just to add a little more detail on my talk, which is in the later
slot at tomorrow's meeting.

It's about authentication for Rails -- adding login and access control
to a Rails app (which, surprisingly for me, is not included in the
main Rails distribution).  It's really a beginner-level talk, covering
how to install and use plugins with Rails, and more importantly, one
of the main security plugins, acts_as_authenticated -- which gives you
authentication (login) and authorization (which users can access which
screens or data).  I'll talk about how to install it, how to use the
code generators it provides, how to integrate it into your existing
Rails project code, how to set up your access rules, and some of the
things you may want to change or customize once you have it running.
Finally, a bit on what other features you might look for in additional
plugins or custom extensions.

Thanks,
      Aaron