Mike Mangino on 13 Nov 2007 02:44:34 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] projects; facebook

On Nov 12, 2007, at 8:20 PM, Toby DiPasquale wrote:

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:09:20PM -0600, Mike Mangino wrote:
I've been using the Google OpenSocial stuff for about a month. It's

How's that? Didn't it come out last week?

The public release was last week. They gave some developers access a while back. There were a couple of hack-fest days at the googleplex last month. It was interesting, but my impression was that their engineers just don't get it. They seem to think of the whole thing as big iGoogle gadgets. They are going to launch with no serverside API which basically neuters any real application. Even the basic wall type applications can't be done without it. The couple that exist have already been hacked because there is no authentication in the API (the whole thing is browser based, so anybody with a js debugger can do serious damage)

Basically, OpenSocial gives you an IFrame and some callbacks to get friend data. There is no UI integration ala FBML and no messaging at all.

If you guys ever want somebody to talk about Facebook development I would be interested.

Mike

--
Toby DiPasquale