Jared Blitzstein on 19 Nov 2007 16:27:05 -0000

[PhillyOnRails] How can I group objects with a datetime field just by date, ignoring time?

Sorry if this is a duplicate email, I'm having problem with sending from multiple accounts on my google for my domain email and didn't see this come in on my PoR list on my client.

I'm just getting back into Ruby/RoR so I'm pretty rusty on everything (and I don't know Ruby that well to boot). The problem I'm having is I have two classes, Location and Meeting with a 1:M relationship. My Meeting class has start_date:datetime and duration:integer (which is the number of minutes). I want to display this data in a table with the time (7:00am, 8:00am...etc) as the X axis on top and the Location as the Y axis on the left (example: http://jared.blitzstein.net/assets/2007/11/19/matrix_1.html) . I was looking at the Enumerable group_by ( http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/Enumerable.html#M001111) but it takes the time into account when I group it by start_time, I want it to just use the date. Any suggestions how to display my data without having to do a bunch of iterations on the display?

I'm not opposed to changing my field types either, by doing something like start_time/end_time, or start_date/start_time/end_date/end_time etc. _______________________________________________