Toby DiPasquale on 15 Dec 2007 01:11:47 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Amazon's SimpleDB, let's talk about it

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 02:41:07PM -0800, Cliff Moon wrote:
> Lots of similarities to bigtable/hbase.  It certainly won't replace an
> RDBMS or even couch in your architecture.  Particularly because of the
> eventual consistency limitations.  If your application called for
> semi-structured data, frequent reads, and only batch updates then it'd
> come in real handy.

Boy, that sounds just like this application I keep hearing about... what
is it called? Ah, that was the name of it: Powerset.  I guess that's why
Jim and boys in Powerlabs are busy building HBase for Yahoo! and the rest
of the Hadoop userbase.

You're right, of course, Cliff, but SimpleDB is the weakest of all three
in that area given its size limitations and expense at this time. However,
those are things Amazon can handle easily with time so I'm hopeful it can
become a real contender for CouchDB. It will never be a threat to HBase
unless they allow arbitrary queries via a framework like map/reduce.

--
Toby DiPasquale