Cassius Rosenthal on 6 Jan 2008 15:12:38 -0800

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Hey, list... Wake up!

Likewise -- I have a rake that I periodically run to see how smart I am compared to other software devs. My pre-rant comparison with Zed said that I am 7.3% smart as him, which is a good result -- I am not very smart at all. Now I'm going to have to adjust my rake to take into account business acumen.

Now, I know that I don't have the business sense that Zed has (because he says so in his blog post), but being only 7.3% as smart as him, I make a pretty penny as a Rails contractor. Can someone explain how I should adjust my rake task to take into account this seeming paradox?

If I could just get a handle on the algorithm, I'd be fine; but I'm so confused: Zed's main complaint seems to be that he couldn't make any money in the Rails world, even though he wrote Mongrel, a demonstrably fine piece of code. But Zed's #2 complaint is that none of his clients have any business sense like he does. Given that we know Zed is a great software engineer, and obviously a master of business acumen, how is it that he couldn't make a dime as a contractor?

I mean, you'd think it would take a f*king idiot to create a work like Mongrel and then not be able to land at least one good client. Maybe I need someone with Zed's business sense and communications skills to explain it to me . . . please help!

-C

Cliff Moon wrote:
<4chan>
I think Zed's a pretty cool guy. eh says fucks and doesn't afraid of anything.
</4chan>

Toby DiPasquale wrote:
Hey everybody,

Where's everyone been hiding? Does no one have any comment on Zed's ghetto rant? Anything else?

--
Toby DiPasquale
Software Assassin