Toby DiPasquale on 6 Jan 2008 16:59:42 -0800

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Hey, list... Wake up!

On Jan 6, 2008 6:01 PM, Cassius Rosenthal <cassius@xmodulation.com> wrote:
> Now, I know that I don't have the business sense that Zed has (because
> he says so in his blog post), but being only 7.3% as smart as him, I
> make a pretty penny as a Rails contractor.  Can someone explain how I
> should adjust my rake task to take into account this seeming paradox?

I believe I can explain this: he lacks the ability to work with
people. He shows it in the rant. He says that he wasn't committing
career suicide with the post but fails to realize why he was never
able to make money with Rails in the first place. I can imagine that
he will do the same sort of thing with the next group he falls in with
and probably has done it with groups he's been involved with in the
past.

If he's that smart and did that much for Rails (which I believe he is
and did, FTR), money should come. Obie Fernandez doesn't seem to have
a problem making money with Rails and Obie didn't do anything as
visible or crucial as writing Mongrel (hell, he didn't even write
WEBrick).

Here's an interesting fact I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else:
Zed's the #1 most popular person on Working with Rails (above DHH,
even) and can't make any money at it, yet the 50 people under him are
all doing just fine. How could his problems not be due to his problems
with working with people?

--
Toby DiPasquale