Nick Romanowski on 25 Jun 2008 08:26:38 -0700

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Rails / PHP / Capistrano

This was the option i decided to go with.  It doesn't offer everything i was hoping for, but it was the easiest.  I'm just using fully qualified links from within the rails app to the subdomains and some of the other setup is a little messy, but at least it works.  SSO for all three is nothing more than a pipe dream now...

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably just use an apache VirtualHost directive for each full host name.  The PHP ones would just set a DocumentRoot and the rails ones would set up a mod_proxybalancer situation.  If you don't need SSL it should be pretty simple.  If you do need SSL coming up with a cert that works for all the hosts is something that I've still been unable to pull off.

I still haven't used nginx though (/me hangs head in shame), so maybe it's even easier there.
-Mat