John Nolan on Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:42:56 -0500 (EST)

Re: CGI - Sendmail question.

> What possible harm would it have been to simply write your response back to
> Barry privately, advising him and pointing him to the right people - instead
> you have to embarrass and make a person look really small.

Well, I am a card-carrying member of the politeness-whiner society.
I won't hesitate to speak up if someone's not nice.   But Abigail's
follow-up was perfectly OK by me.  I think it delivered the message
with the proper kind of restraint. There was nothing insulting in it.
I think it's quite proper to publicly remind folks to stay on topic.

I don't know, but I'm guessing that you are still stinging
from reading some nasty posts on the newsgroups.  I don't like
the tone on the newsgroups either, but folks on this list
are generally quite nice to each other.  I honestly don't
think we have a politeness problem here.  And we don't need
to bring battles from somewhere else into this forum.
It's just pointless.

The politeness debate is *very* old among Perl folks, we've been
down that path enough times to know every twig and leaf along it.
It is *very* tiresome to some folks to bring it up again.
(Even for me, and I'm on the whiner side.)  I wouldn't do it
lightly.

Most of us on this list know Abigail in person, and we know
what a nice person he is.  He's also one of the smartest
programmers I've ever met.  I hope he was just in a bad mood
when he said bye, and didn't really mean it.  It would be
a shame to see him go.  :(