mjd-perl-pm on Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:35:51 -0500 (EST)

Re: Amazon Boycott

> If you're buying computer books, you can get them cheaper
> at bookpool anyway:  http://www.bookpool.com.

Also as long as we are on the subject, I just found out about ABEbooks
this week, and I think it's really wonderful.  They are a cooperative
of 5500 used book dealers.  The book dealers send their inventory
lists to ABE along with a monthly fee.  ABE merges together all the
lists and makes a search engine.  Then when you want a book, you can
do a search and get a list of dozens or hundreds of used bookstores
that will sell you a cheap copy (or an expensive first edition).  ABE
gives you the telephone numbers and addresses of the bookstores and
you can just call them up and get the book.

You can also browse by subject or author or location.  I was looking
at ABEbooks the other day and browsing the inventory list of Big Jar
Books, which is over on second street.  The owner of Bookline
International, a small used book store on Pine Street, told me that
she is doing about a third of her business on the internet now because
of ABE.

I think this is a really really good thing.  I like it a lot.  I was
able to get books that I had been looking for for years.

http://www.abebooks.com/

This has nothing to do with the boycott, but I thought people on the
list might be interested anyway.