jes on Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:22:18 -0500 (EST)

Re: Software Carpentry Competition (fwd)

> I'd vote that TCL's killer app is actually Tk.

Tcl and Tk have consistently disappointed me.  The stream of
incompatible changes has repeatedly forced me to choose whether to
break older apps or forgo running newer ones.  Maybe just bad luck.

I waited a long time to start learning GUI programming (would anyone
in their right mind choose to learn Xlib, Xt or Motif without a gun to
their head?).  Tk was the first toolkit that made any sense to me.
But as I got into it, it looks like the OO features are skin deep.
There seemed to be limitations on deriving new widgets, or if you do,
they aren't first-class objects.  The performance was less than
wonderful as well.  This is all new to me, so I may be full of it.

Anyway, I've started using Gtk-Perl (and Glade) on a real project and
it's very nice.  Tk's packing model was easier to understand though.

Have you guys had anyone talk about Gtk-Perl yet?  Not that I'm
volunteering!

<Joe