Chris Spurgeon on Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:50:22 -0500 (EST)

Can I ask a quick stupid question?

OK, I have this code.....

#!/usr/bin/perl

@group1 = qw(foo foofoo foo+++ bar bar+++ foobar);
@group2 = qw(foo bar);

foreach $teststring (@group1) {
    foreach $searcher (@group2) {
        $alteredsearcher = $searcher . "+++";
        if ($teststring =~ /$alteredsearcher/) {
            print "Got a match with $teststring and $searcher\n";
        }
    }
}

... what I'm trying to do here is search for a series of strings, where
the strings happen to end with the characters "+++".  But perl is picking
up those final characters in $alteredsearcher and it's seeing them as a
syntax error instead of just three characters. What am I missing here?
TIA.