Walt Mankowski on Thu, 2 Mar 2000 23:08:04 -0500 (EST)

Re: Perl Reading Group News

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 10:09:38PM -0500, Adam Turoff wrote:
> The last time we met for a reading group discussion was in January, when
> a few of us gathered at the Nodding Head to talk about 'Extreme Programming
> Explained'.
>
> Discussing possible followup books, we decided on 'The Pragmatic Programmer'
> by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas.  For those people weren't interested in
> Extreme Programming because they don't do much "professional team
> programming", consider flipping through this book at Borders or B&N.
>
> While many of the topics covered here seem deceptively obvious, there are
> a lot of good suggestions and nuggets of wisdom covered in these pages.

Many of them, at least in the first chapter, seemed so deceptively
obvious that I'm a little surprised that Amazon hasn't applied for a
patent on them. Examples: "Think! About Your Work", "Remember the Big
Picture", and "Make it Easy to Reuse".

Admitedly I haven't gotten very far yet, and Adam assures me it gets
better.

> The next 'reading group' meeting would be Monday, March 13th.  Since this
> is creeping up fast, someone suggested moving the  meeting two weeks to
> Monday, March 27th:

I can't make March 13th.  Don't yet whether I can make the 27th.

> Z.
>
> PS: Read anything good and at least mildly related to Perl recently?
>     Tell us about it!

Sorry, just TCL and Scheme lately.  :-)