Walt Mankowski on Sun, 5 Mar 2000 09:25:42 -0500 (EST)

Re: These folks looking for Perl programmers (fwd)

Sorry, I just realized I never replied to this.

To me, one of the big plusses of working at Myxa was one of the
partners, Tim Brown.  I worked with Tim way back in 1990 when he was a
Sun consultant and I was working for the Philadelphia Stock Exchange.
Tim was an island of calm and professionalism amid the chaos that was
(and probably still is) PHLX.  It's difficult to be sure about a
company after just speaking to them for a few hours, but Tim gives me
the confidence that they are cluefull and well-managed.  I was equally
impressed with the other people I met there.

Myxa is a small consulting firm located in Huntingdon Valley.  They
have three major lines of business:

- Technology Management Consulting

Advising companies on technical issues such as building networks,
strategic planning, implementation and deployment strategies, planning
for growth, etc.  This is more or less what Tim was doing at PHLX.

- Custom Software Development

Writing standalone programs and systems for clients.

- Web Development

This is what I was going to be doing.

There seemed to be some overlap on projects.  For example, they don't
just sit down, crank out some Perl CGI scripts, and hand them over.
They also try to make sure that the overall design makes sense, that
the network can handle the load, etc.

They are a very small shop, only about 10 people.  They've
intentionally tried to keep it small.  Coming from a big, increasingly
impersonal IS shop, this was very appealing to me.  Many consulting
shops try to grow too much too fast, and run into trouble trying to
sustain the growth.  (This is my biggest concern about ArsDigita.)

Their offices are pretty cool.  They're in a old former church
building in a quaint Main Streetish area of Huntingdon Valley.
It's walkable from a train station, but I think it might be a fairly
long walk (15-20 minutes, maybe).  But this office is just about
full.  They're considering moving to Conshohocken (which would have
been a 10 minute commute for me) but there are no definite plans yet.

They are primarily a Sun/Oracle shop.  They do as much work as
possible in-house, and they like to model their clients' environments
on their in-house machines.  Translation: all their staff have big,
honking Sun workstations on their desks.

All that, and they like Perl!

OK, I should balance this with some cons.

The biggest, at least to some people, is that they're a privately-held
company.  They pay pretty well, and give out bonuses, but if you're
hoping to become a .com millionaire this isn't the place to be.

It was a pretty long commute for me, fighting traffic on the turnpike
and in Willow Grove for 45-50 minutes to get there.

That's about it.  I hope this was helpful to people.  If someone's
looking for a Perl consulting shop, Myxa is definitely worth a look.

Walt