Robert Spier on Sat, 18 Mar 2000 17:10:47 -0500 (EST)

Books: The Difference Engine

Not really perl related, (although it does tie into the London trip)
but I read Gibson and Sterling's 'The Difference Engine' (Bantam,
1991) this week.. it was quite interesting.

It's a mystery/adventure/alternative-history type story, set in the
late 19th century of an England where Babbage's Difference Engine had
caused a revolution.  Imagine the 20th century digital revolution
happening 100 years earlier with mechanical computers.

The premise is quite interesting and allows for lots of leeway, but
it's quite an interesting idea.  What if...

(I guess that's what happens when these two guys get together.)

(The writing itself was relatively consistent, although there were a
few sections which were just not appropriate and could easily have
been removed or written differently.)

-R