ziggy on Fri, 21 Apr 2000 01:09:18 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Reading group for PATH (fwd)

> >> And heck, some of it (chapter two especially) is quite applicable
> >> to CGI stuff.
> SH> You mean using dispatch tables for handling state in CGI?
>
> I was thinking more of for doing different things to input data based
> on a parameter from a select box, or even something hidden.  One cgi,
> multiple possibilities.  Or even for processing each value.

That sounds quite reasonable.  It's much more important to program
defensively when doing CGI programming; using dispatch tables makes error
handling a breeze:

	if ($dispatch{$cgi_param}) {
		## do something
	} else {
		## standard error handling
	}

or even

	throw_error_and_quit() unless $dispatch{$cgi_param};

	## no worries here

And, of course, maintenance becomes *much* easier.

Sorry if this was an obvious insight or otherwise mentioned.  I haven't
read the drafts yet.

Z.