mjd-perl-pm on Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:14:27 -0400 (EDT)

Perl Advanced Programming tutorial

This year I'll be doing three tutorials at the big Perl conference in
Monterey.  One of them is new; it's called `Advanced Programming
Techniques in Perl'.  I need to practice this before I go to Monterey,
so I'll be giving the tutorial in Philadelphia next month.  If you
were to attend in Monterey, you would pay $320.  But you can come to
my practice session for $5.  Any money I have left over after expenses
will be donated to the Free Software Foundation.

The tutorial will be at 6 PM on Thursday, 11 May at the University of
Pennsylvania Literacy Center at 3910 Chestnut Street in Philadelphia.
It will end around 9:30 or 10:00 PM.

Here's the brochure description:

            Who Should Attend:

            Intermediate Perl programmers and those with some Perl
            experience and basic familiarity with packages, objects,
            references, and modules.

            We'll expand on the highly successful 'Perl Hardware
            Store' talks of the past two Perl conferences, but with a
            more serious bent. The Hardware Store talks introduced
            powerful programming techniques such as iterators,
            memoization, and higher-order computation that are drawn
            from the Lisp and functional programming worlds. In this
            new tutorial we'll explore these and other techniques in
            much greater depth than the Hardware Store talks.

            Course Outline:

                 Recursion
                 Dispatch tables
                 Caching, memoization, and lazy computation
                 Iterators
                 Streams and infinite lists
                 Higher-order functions: merging, filtering, and  reducing
                 Higher-order functions: composition
                 Functional parsing
                 Sideways approaches to object-oriented programming
                 Constraint systems
                 Control flow alternatives

Short version: It's about the same stuff that my book will be about.

You must make an advance reservation; I have room for only 30 people.
To reserve, please send an email message to

        mjd-perl-practice@plover.com

AFTER 9AM ON SATURDAY APRIL 22.

I'd like it if this notice could be circulated to other groups that
might be interested, so to give it a chance to circulate, I'm going to
disregard any mail I receive asking for a reservation unless it
arrives after 9AM tomorrow.  Can someone send it to PLUG for me?

If I get more than 30 requests for reservations, articipants will
be selected by me based on some combination of:

         * Promptness of response  (ignoring responses that arrive before 9AM)
         * Random drawing
         * Blatant favoritism

I wanted to say that I hoped to see lots and lots of people there, but
unfortunately we only have room for 20.

My grateful thanks to Steve Linberg and to the Penn Literacy Center
for providing the space and AV equipment for my talk.

Mark-Jason Dominus 	  			                 mjd@plover.com
I am boycotting Amazon. See http://old.plover.com/~mjd/amazon.html for details.