urb on Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:32:09 -0400 (EDT)

Re: setuid

If I have a perl script running as root (i.e. via it being chmod'ed +s), is it possible for me to change the uid it is running as, which it is running (similar to the C function of setuid).

Depends on the operating system. Most have it turned off because of the
inherent security problems. Ever if it's turned off there is one last chance. Try

#!/usr/bin/suidperl  usual switches

If these works (it does with Red Hat) you script will run with the owner's privilege..
So if you want to run as root, you may also have to chown.

Be aware suid scripts are considered the biggest security hole in existence.

Urb