Nicolai Rosen on Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:06:21 -0400 (EDT)

Re: references

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Kyle Burton wrote:
> > I've noticed that references don't tend to be used a whole lot in
> > perl. Why is that? Wouldn't there be some tremendous gains in efficiency
> > if they were? And how come no automagic referencing & dereferencing?
>
> I'd have to agree with Michael, I use references for complex data structures
> in almost all of the programs I've written using Perl.  If you've ever used
> an object, you've used a refernece -- every object is a reference.
>

> What gave you this impression?

Perhaps I should've been more specific. I didn't mean references involving
objects (objects not in the every variable is an object sense). Obviously
you see those everywhere. I've seen very little code involving \VARIABLE
type stuff.

Nicolai Rosen, nick@netaxs.com
http://www.netaxs.com/~nick/

don't open your eyes you won't like what you see
the blind have been blessed with security

don't open your eyes you won't like what you see
the devils of truth steal the souls of the free
	-nine inch nails, happiness in slavery