Robert Spier on Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:23:04 -0400 (EDT)

Re: references

>> Can you provide us an example of what you haven't seen?  I use
>> references a lot, mostly implicitly.  I don't know what \VARIABLE
>> is supposed to represent.
MCT> I believe he's referring to something like:
MCT> 	$foo = "xyzzy"; $bar = \$foo;
MCT> $bar is then a reference to $foo.

In that case, the answer is relatively easy.

That's poor perl programming.

You never (with a 99.9952334% probability) will ever need to do that.

It is	a) bug prone
	b) often a security hole
	c) better solved with a hash or an array

The reason the syntax exists is buried somewhere in perl4 or earlier.
(And perl rarely removes things from the langauge.)

-R