Adam Turoff on Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:13:35 -0400 (EDT)

Re: They Win!

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 09:13:13AM -0400, Rachel King wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 11:58:39PM -0400, Michael L Chalfant wrote:
> > I doubt that Hebrew Scrabble values take the numeric values of the hebrew
> > alphabet.  If that were the case, any word with two Taf's would have at
> > least 800 points, and there are way too many conjugated verbs that have
> > two taf's out there to make this fair.
>
> 800?  A Taf should equal 32 alphabetically, right?  Are there "final"
> letters in Hebrew scrabble?

The first 10 letters have numeric values of 1..10.  The next nine
have values of 20..100.  The next three have values from 200..400.

Taf is the 22nd letter of the alphabet, and has a value of 400.
Certain verbs when conjugated in the 2nd person singular female
voice in the future tense have two Taf's.  Seventh conjugation
verbs or gerunds may have three Taf's in certain forms, but I can't
remember how or why that would be.

Final consonants have the same numeric values as the non-final versions.

Dagesh's don't count; that is, a "bet" and "vet" are really the same
letter.  The pronounciation of the consonant as 'b' or 'v' depends
on gramatical rules.  The mapiq (the dot inside the 'hey') has bizarre
gramatical uses, does not serve the same role as the dagesh, and also
has no impact on the numerical value of 5 for that letter.

Please don't ask me how I know this.  Please don't ask me why
I remember this, but not my last three phone numbers.  :-)

Z.