abigail on Thu, 28 Sep 2000 02:38:20 -0400 (EDT)

Goodbye, Farewell, Amen

[Excuses if you get this multiple times, I've send it to a few mailinglists,
 and to several individuals]

Dear Friends,

It's time to say goodbye. Immigration laws in the US force me to decline
countless well paying and interesting jobs offers, and to return to the
Netherlands instead. The limited number of visa issues in no way match
the demand, leading to 6 month waitinglists. And having been through that
process last year, it's not something I can afford doing a second time.
Not to mention that after 6 months, I would not have enough time to apply
for a green card before the 6 year visa limit is reached anyway.

On Monday, my plane leaves, to the Netherlands, a place where I absolutely
don't want to live. Where I don't know people, and noone knows me. Where
I need to find a job with a resume showing 10 weeks of employment the past
13 months. Where live is boring and predictable.

This Friday, the movers come and take my belongings, including my
computer. Early Friday morning, I will cease to have netaccess - for
the first time since the '80s. It's doubtful I will return any time soon,
if at all. It's going to take quite some time for my computer makes the
trip by boat, and in the mean time, I'll ignore the windows machine of
my parents. But even if my computer makes it, metered local calls and
being totally out of financial resources makes it doubtful I'll to the net.
Just getting food and shelter will be hard enough.

It was nice knowing you,

Abigail