Adam Turoff on Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:52:18 -0500 (EST)

Zombies (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from owner-phl@lists.pm.org -----
From: "Barry Veinotte" <barry@veinotte.com>
To: "Phl@Lists.Pm.Org" <phl@lists.pm.org>
Subject: Zombies
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:56:43 -0400

Hi Folks,

I have a bit of an emergency on my hands, and was hoping that someone
could give me a quick fix for avoiding zombies from a CGI script on
BSDI.

I just need a band aid until I can find the source of the problem. I have
way too many processes that are apparently not exiting, and I know
the guilty script ( though I don't know why it is raising hell ).
The server admin has killed them manually it appears, but I have to
stop this from happening again before they shoot me!

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this.

Here is where I am heading now:
=================
Question:
How do I avoid zombies on a Unix system?

    Use the reaper code from the section on "Signals" in the perlipc
    manpage to call wait() when a SIGCHLD is received, or else use the
    double-fork technique described in the "fork" entry in the perlfunc
    manpage.

Thanks,
Barry

Barry Veinotte