John Kirk on Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:31:09 -0500

Re: Upcoming Events

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 03:22:21PM -0500, Robert Spier wrote:
> Feb 26 - Unknown
> Mar 12 - Unknown
> Mar 26 - Adam's back in town (corrected from 'Feb')
> Is anyone interested in filling in one of those Unknowns with a tech talk?

  If we'd like to extend the GUI-building theme, I've been meaning to share
my experiences simplifying the interface to Perl-Tk (by complicating it, of
course, with additional modules).  I wanted a streamlined GUI specification
format because there are sooo many details (widgets upon widgets, and then
events and widget options ad infinitum, to get any real functionality), and
good choices of how to include back-end perl code inline or put it in separate
files.  I ended up with a module called Qtk::QuickTk for the GUI spec syntax
and another called Text::TreeFile that implements a file format representing
trees of strings.  See http://perl.dystanhays.com/jnk describing this and a
preliminary talk I gave at the Linux group.

  On the other hand, if we're GUI'd out but can stand this John Kirk guy, I
could talk about some work I've done extending PDL to handle a more general
format of 3D modelling data structure than it has built-in currently.  If
you have PDL installed, look at the 3D demos available when you run the
perldl shell.  The one that shows a "barrel" shape demonstrates using a 2D
array of 3D points to define a topologically toroidal surface.  I was so
impressed with the performance of PDL for this kind of thing that I wanted
to experiment with perl for more general 3D modelling.

  Both of the upcoming empty dates would be OK by me, for either or both
topics.