mjd-perl-pm on Sun, 1 Apr 2001 00:39:58 -0500

Re: Outing to a Blue Rocks game

> So far we have three people going -- me, Mark, and someone from DC.pm
> (BradeRuna from #perl; don't know his real name).

His name is Kevin Healy.

> P.S.  This is minor league baseball.

*Very* minor league.  These are players just out of college, or even
high school, in their first professional baseball job.  They get paid
very little and they're trying very hard to impress the coach so that
they can get a much better AA job.  (Only about one player in 50 makes
it to the AA league; probably one AA player in ten gets the rest of
the way to the majors.)

This is the place to go if you want to see the players who are going
to be the big stars in another ten years.  When I was going to Blue
Rocks games a few years back, the big star of the team was Johnny
Damon, who's now playing center field for Oakland and will probably
make the all-star team this year or next.  I also got to see Pete Rose
Jr., who never went anywhere at all.

The quality of the baseball isn't as good as in the major leagues, of
course.  But that makes it more interesting in some ways.  When an
outfielder gets under a fly ball, you can't be sure he's actually
going to catch it!

> The Blue Rocks play in the Class A Carolina League.

If you have seen the movie 'Bull Durham', this is the same league that
was depicted in the movie.  A few years ago, the Blue Rocks had
regularly scheduled games against the Durham Bulls.  (The Bulls were
sold to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, and are now a AAA club.)

> I don't know what kind of tickets we'll end up with, but the most
> expensive seats are only $7.

The park only has capacity for about 6,000 people.  Even the worst
seats they have are as good as the best seats at Veteran's Stadium.