Susan J. Talbutt on Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:04:17 -0400

Re: Thanksgiving Long Weekend

At 11:04 AM 4/17/2001 , Adam Turoff wrote:
>Here are the destinations mentioned last month for the 2001
>Thanksgiving Long Weekend:
>        Prague
>        Budapest
>        Amsterdam
>        London
>        Lisbon (*)
>        Bermuda/Caribbean
>        Wyoming
>        Las Vegas
>
>Requirements:
>    - Short, cheap flight from the east coast (<6h)
>    - Group rates, including hotel
>    - Someplace interesting for a 3-4 day visit
>    - Perl Mongers nearby (and/or gathering with us)
>    - You're on your own (or not) as desired
>    - Easily navigable destination without a car rental
>
>*: Lisbon is my personal favorite at the moment.
>
>Z.

Prague Notes:

What part of the East Coast, Z? Prague is southeast of Frankfurt, and
Frankfurt is 6 to 7 hours from Philly (7 to 8 return trip). English is
widely spoken in Prague (as is German), at least enough for an American to
get by. Outside the city, it's hit or miss.

If you do pick Prague, here are my suggestions:
	* Get a hotel in the old city (yes, the touristy area), everything else
seemed to be under construction.
	* Don't drive, and watch out for the drivers.
	* Pick up the Frommer's guide.
	* Try the Pilsner Urquell and the blue (well, purple) cabbage.
	* Pack warmly.
	* Take really good walking shoes, and consider starting a fitness plan a
few weeks before. Talk about hills!
	* Tell me, because I'll give you a good rate on the very little Czech
money I have left from last October. :)

S.