Walt Mankowski on Tue, 17 Apr 2001 23:28:51 -0400

Re: Lurkers (fwd)

Robert,

I debated for a long time whether to even reply to your email, and if
so what the tone should be.  Since you've never attended any of our
meetings or participated in any of the discussions on the list, I
frankly have a hard time caring whether or not you're subscribed, let
alone your being annoyed at a small number of what you consider to be
off-topic posts.  But I finally decided that someone needed to address
the issues you raised.

> I've been a lurker on the Philly PM list for quite some time now, although I
> have never attended a dinner/other social event (that's why you don't know
> me).  I have joined and parted from the Philly PM list several times, each
> time because of the amount of non-list, non-Perl related content.  Since I
> get several emails a day (to work) from the list, and I read (or at least
> skim) them all, I get quite annoyed when they have nothing to do with the
> subject of the list I joined.

What do you think the subject of this list is?  As you may have
noticed from the traffic on this list, phl.pm is mainly a social
group.  We try to meet twice a month, once for a tech meeting and once
for a social meeting.  This list exists primarily to plan those
meetings, and to discuss topics which arise at the meetings.

I belive those 14 emails about vacation plans were completely
on-topic.  In 1999 a group of Philly, DC, and New York mongers flew
out to London over Thanksgiving Weekend.  We're hoping to organize
another trip for this year.  We're trying to plan early so we can have
plenty of time to shop around for group rates.  Expect the discussion
to continue for a few more days, then crop up again from time to time
as November approaches.

The Perl conference season is also fast approaching.  Expect some
discussion on the list as we try to figure out how we're getting up to
Montreal for YAPC, whether we're meeting up with the ny.pm'ers along
the way, and so on.  I'd argue that these discussions are also all
completely on-topic.

There are plenty of other Perl mailing lists with higher technical
content; see http://lists.perl.org for a complete list.  Be warned,
though, that many of them are significantly higher traffic than this
list.

> I know there are several others out there that feel the same way (several at
> my own company even).  We love Perl and want to be involved locally, but we
> don't like reading about People-we-don't-know's vacation plans 6 months from
> now (unless it's Perl-Whirl, etc.), not to mention 14 emails in one day
> about it.

We also love Perl and would love to have you be involved locally.
What do you think "involved locally" means?  Have you ever attended
any of our tech talks?  (Adam Turoff gave an excellent one on SOAP
just a few weeks ago.)  Technical discussions do actually pop up on
the list from time to time.  Have you ever participated in any of
them?

Walt