Jeff Baker on Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:05:18 -0400

RE: Lurkers (fwd)

Good job, Rob; I absolutely agree, and I'm just two weeks new to the list.
Ditto on the apology for non-topic broadcast of this email, but I thought
all folks should know.

jeffery

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-phl@lists.pm.org [mailto:owner-phl@lists.pm.org]On Behalf Of
Adam Turoff
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 5:59 PM
To: phl@lists.pm.org
Subject: Lurkers (fwd)

----- Forwarded message -----
From: Robert Munroe <RMunroe@lawmanager.com>
To: phl@lists.pm.org
Subject: Lurkers
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:18:59 -0400

Hello all,

I've been a lurker on the Philly PM list for quite some time now, although I
have never attended a dinner/other social event (that's why you don't know
me).  I have joined and parted from the Philly PM list several times, each
time because of the amount of non-list, non-Perl related content.  Since I
get several emails a day (to work) from the list, and I read (or at least
skim) them all, I get quite annoyed when they have nothing to do with the
subject of the list I joined.

I know there are several others out there that feel the same way (several at
my own company even).  We love Perl and want to be involved locally, but we
don't like reading about People-we-don't-know's vacation plans 6 months from
now (unless it's Perl-Whirl, etc.), not to mention 14 emails in one day
about it.

To avoid unsubscribing from the list yet again, I am pleading to the admins
for a change.  Is it possible to:

A) Create a second list for off topic, non-Perl, non-meeting related, but
socially relevant banter?  Or...

B) Require that all subjects for off topic, non-Perl, non-meeting related,
but socially relevant banter be prefaced with [OFF TOPIC] or something like
it (so I can filter it out)?

Am I doomed to once more unsubscribe?  Have I gotten the purpose of the list
all wrong?   I hope not.  Any change would help.

Thanks for your time, and I apologize for the off-topic post ;-)

- Rob M.

----- End forwarded message -----