Kyle R . Burton on Thu, 17 May 2001 16:30:16 -0400

why is the '1;' necessary at the end of perl modules

I just had a co-worker ask me that question.  I was able to confirm that
it was needed and in fact show a few examples of where not having it (or
returning a false value) at the end of Perl modules caused them to halt
the execution of programs that 'required' them, but I am still unable to
find the (any) documentation that states clearly why it's necessary.

Is the reasoning behind this documented in one of the manpages?

Is it just that the true/false-ness of your module affects weather or
not it can be loaded via use/require? (and if it compiles of course)

I'd rather be able to point to some peice of official documentation,
instead of making my co-worker rely on my (often distorted) view of the
world.

Thanks,
Kyle R. Burton