Bill Jonas on Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:48:35 -0400

Re: off-topic (sort of): DSL

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 10:09:17PM -0400, mjd-perl-pm@plover.com wrote:
> > Hey there.  My roommate and I are 99% sure we're getting DSL.  Does
> > anybody have any recommendations on a provider?  Or, is there anybody we
> > should avoid?
>
> Please send your recommendations to me too; I need a new ISP.  I'm
> dumping NetReach.  They're clueless, they can't return phone calls,
> and they play abusive telephone games.  A bunch of complete assholes.

I'm a former Speakeasy customer.  I had their service until I moved,
from September 2000 until July of this year.  The service was only down
a handful of times, their tech support is very clueful ("I can't reach
my gateway, and I'm on the NYC POP.  What's wrong?"  "Oh, we're having
problems with $FOO.  We're working on an ETA."), and I got every bit of
the bandwidth I signed up for (1.5Mb down, 384Kb up -- I tended to get
150-175KB down, 40-45KB up).  Highly recommended.  I got two static IP
addresses with my service, they would change the reverse DNS for you,
and the whole package was $89.95/month.  Ostensibly the tech support is
24 hours, but I had problems the one time I called them in the middle of
the night.  They're a national ISP based in Seattle.

There are several PLUG members who swear by DCA Net.  I have no personal
experience with them, so I can't comment one way or another.  I do know
that they provide 5 or 6 static IPs with their service and they
authenticate your machine based on IP and MAC addresses, which can be a
pain.  I believe that their 1.5/384 service is $79.95/month.  (You have
to call them up and give them the MAC address of the new machine you
want to put on your line.)  They're a local outfit and do not have
24-hour support.

URLs:
http://www.speakeasy.net/
http://www.dca.net/

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin