Walt Mankowski on Sun, 11 Nov 2001 23:23:39 -0500

Re: new member plans to come Monday

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 11:01:45PM -0500, David H. Adler wrote:
> Anyone have any idea how absolutely horribly Amtrak's running nowadays?
> Or are we better off going NJTransit?

As a matter of fact, I had some first-hand experience with Amtrak this
very day, returning to Philly after a weekend in Cambridge.  My train,
an Acela Regional, left South Station about 5 minutes late.  The
schedule, which is admittedly optimistic, has a three minute stop in
New Haven.  Instead we were stopped in the dark for close to 20
minutes while they changed engines.  I thought they stopped having to
do that a few years ago, but hey.

They seemed to be having electrical problems between New Haven and
Penn Station.  The lights went off probably a dozen times, for
anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute.  Fortunately they regained a
little time in New York, and the train was running a lot better.  The
train, originally scheduled arrive at 8:03, got in at about 8:15 --
just enough time for me catch my commuter train home.  If it had been
a few minutes later, I'd have had to spent another hour at 30th St.

> My brain says the 5:09, my gut says the 4:45.

But having said that, please feel free to catch the later train.  I
promise to personally beat up Dieter if he tries to start his talk
before our honored guests arrive.  :-)

Walt